LDS Family History helps us find out who we are, where we came from and what we are all about! And…you don’t even have to be LDS to use the resources!
Are you an LDS family history junkie, a called consultant or just a smart parent who recognizes the promises to your children of protection from the adversary? Either way-I hope this post will help you with some ideas and inspiration to help you bring family History to life in your home with fun family history activities for youth that will help provide that extra protection for your children.
LDS Family History Youth Fireside
I was not prepared to serve in an LDS Family History calling with the youth but was quickly led to some amazing ideas online and combined with my seminary students suggestions-was able to put together a very productive event!
- We began in the chapel with two youth sharing a story each of one of their ancestors. They even dressed the part!
- Then, I shared a brief testimony of family history and an experience I had in finding an ancestor.
- Our Bishop then shared his amazing testimony of this work.
- After about 30 minutes we went back to the cultural hall, where tables and chairs were set up along with a “Cookies and Milk Bar.” (no food by devices)
- Previous to the fireside, everyone was asked to bring a device that they could use to get on the internet with. Some brought their parents phone, ipad or laptop.
- I recruited as many former and current family history consultants that I could think of. We also had a few parents come to help as well.
- You do need to be 13 to have your own account, so help of parents with younger ones was great.
- We were able to get almost every single youth their own account that night!
- We also did a few fun things with apps like relatives around me, on Family Tree. We discovered in one way or another we were related to a lot of people in our ward. The kids and adults enjoyed that!